- Gonzaga are 10.5-point favorites vs Memphis on Saturday, March 19th
- The Bulldogs survived a major first round scare against Georgia State on Thursday
- Read below for Memphis vs Gonzaga odds, predictions and best pick
There was a point on Thursday where you could feel the intensity of bettors stressing over their March Madness brackets as Gonzaga (27-3, 15-13-2 ATS), the top seed in the tournament, fell behind #16-seed Georgia State with just over 13 minutes left in the game.
But the Bulldogs took over from there, outscoring Georgia State 41-18 the rest of the way to survive their scare. Gonzaga is now get set for a matchup with #9-seed Memphis (22-10, 16-15-1 ATS), which defeated Boise State in the first round.
The time for tip off is TBD on Saturday, March 19th, from the Moda Center in Portland. Let’s take a look at the odds between Memphis and Gonzaga and give you our best bet for this one.
Memphis vs Gonzaga Odds
|Memphis||+460||+10.5 (-110)||O 154.5 (-108)|
|Gonzaga||-770||-10.5 (-110)||U 154.5 (-113)|
Odds as of March 17th at Barstool Sportsbook.
Their poor start played a huge hand in Gonzaga being unable to cover the 23.5-point spread against Georgia State in round one. The Bulldogs are 10.5-point favorites against the Tigers in second round action, and at -770 moneyline odds, have an implied win probability of 88.51%
“Nothing but respect to them. They won their league, they deserve to be here.”
— CBS Sports HQ (@CBSSportsHQ) March 17, 2022
Memphis Tigers Betting Analysis
Memphis have the highest KenPom overall efficiency ranking of any 9 seed in the tournament, but that may not help them much against the March Madness odds-on favorite to win it all, the Gonzaga Bulldogs.
The Tigers have won seven of their last eight games coming into this tilt with the NCAA heavyweights, the only loss being a 71-53 beatdown at the hands of the Houston Cougars in the American Athletic Conference final.
Memphis scores a lot of points on putbacks and second chances as they are 5th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage according to KenPom. They are led in that category by 6’11 center and potential NBA top five pick, Jalen Duren who had five offensive boards in their first round win against Boise State and will have to battle against potential NBA first overall selection, Chet Holmgren, in this one.
— NCAA March Madness (@MarchMadnessMBB) March 17, 2022
Gonzaga Bulldogs Betting Analysis
With the shortest Final Four odds of any team in the tournament, the scoreline early in the 2nd half against Georgia State had Gonzaga fans, and everybody else who was watching that game, absolutely stunned.
They pulled out the victory with ease in the end, and truth be told, this early tournament scare might actually serve them better in the long run. They are the only team with two players in the top 10 of the Wooden Award odds in Drew Timme and Holmgren and those two were massive against Georgia State, combining for 51 points and 30 boards.
Ridiculous game from Chet Holmgren; 19 points, 17 rebounds, 7 blocks, 5 assists, 2 steals, 0 turnovers. Completely dominated on both ends of the floor. Highlights, and overall talent, are absolutely insane. Highly anticipated matchup coming Saturday with Jalen Duren and Memphis. pic.twitter.com/HIKMOnIgSY
— Jonathan Givony (@DraftExpress) March 18, 2022
Holmgren also added seven blocks. He averaged 3.59 swats per game on the season, good for fourth in the country to lead a stellar defense, but where the Bulldogs really show their snarl is on offense.
They have an adjusted offensive efficiency of 122.1 according to KenPom, tops in the nation and averaged 87.8 points per game this season. Needless to say, the total is usually set at a big number in contests involving Gonzaga.
The winner of this game will move on to face the winner of #12 New Mexico State vs #4 Arkansas in the Sweet 16 portion of the March Madness bracket.
Grab the 6 Best NCAA Tournament Betting Promo Codes for Round of 64
Memphis vs Gonzaga Prediction
The Tigers only played one team with a KenPom overall efficiency ranking in the top 10 this season, the Houston Cougars, but they played them three times and lost all of those games by double digits. While they are 5-1 against the spread in their last six games against teams with a win percentage above .600, Gonzaga poses a test they just haven’t faced before.
Celebrate every win 💯 pic.twitter.com/gcZMNFpP0H
— Gonzaga Basketball (@ZagMBB) March 18, 2022
The Bulldogs have won 20 of their last 21 games, all by double digits. In a lot of those games, they faced some pretty good competition and trounced everybody, save for a 67-57 loss to St. Mary’s on February 26th.
It feels as if Gonzaga got their early round scare and will have no problem disposing of the Tigers. They should come out with an energetic start after a poor first half against Georgia State so take the Bulldogs at -10.5 to cruise into the Sweet 16 next week.
The Pick: Gonzaga -10.5 (-110)
Other March Madness Content
Second Round Game Previews (Saturday)
- Baylor vs UNC Odds, Lines, and Spread (12:10 am ET)
- Michigan vs Tennessee Odds and Picks (12:30 pm ET)
- Richmond vs Providence Odds, Lines and Spread (tip-off TBD)
First Round Game Previews (Friday)
- Loyola Chicago vs Ohio State Odds and Picks (12:15 pm ET)
- Jacksonville State vs Auburn Picks and Odds (12:40 pm ET)
- Montana State vs Texas Tech Odds, Lines and Spread (1:45 pm ET)
- Yale vs Purdue Picks and Odds (2:00 pm ET)
- Delaware vs Villanova Odds, Lines and Spread (2:45 pm ET)
- Miami vs USC Odds and Picks (3:10pm ET)
- Notre Dame vs Alabama Picks and Odds (4:15 pm ET)
- Virginia Tech vs Texas Odds, Lines and Spread (4:30 pm ET)
- Chattanooga vs Illinois Odds and Picks (6:30 pm ET)
- Cal State Fullerton vs Duke Picks and Odds (7:10 pm ET)
- Iowa State vs LSU Odds, Lines and Spread (7:20 pm ET)
- Wright State vs Arizona Prediction (7:27 pm ET)
- UAB vs Houston Picks and Odds (9:20pm ET)
- Davidson vs Michigan State Odds, Lines and Spread (9:40 pm ET)
- Colgate vs Wisconsin Odds and Picks (9:50 pm ET)
- East Region Odds — Baylor Earns Top Seed, Kentucky Favored
- Midwest Region Odds See Kansas Favored Over Auburn, Iowa and Wisconsin
- South Region Odds: Arizona +110 Favorites, Tennessee & Houston Sleepers
- West Regional Odds: Gonzaga Odds-On Favorite to Reach Final Four
The post Gonzaga vs Memphis Odds and Picks appeared first on Sports Betting Dime.